Saturday, November 04, 2006

We're What?





















Here we have an old newspaper clipping of Your Delaware and Mine, date unknown; newspaper unknown. Bob Swain was the author of this piece, which was written on Columbus Day and described Henry Hudson's journey up the Delaware River in search of a short route to China. Obviously, this was back before the days of Google Earth and Mapquest.

In the style of the old Ripley's Believe it or Not, this little clipping has some juicy little tidbits of Delaware information . Now, I didn't go to school in Delaware, so these little factoids are all news to me. For instance, did you know that another nickname for Delaware is Uncle Sam's Pocket Handkerchief"? I looked on the State website and that nickname wasn't mentioned... I wonder why? I think that the nickname would look just swell on all the signs that greet you coming into the state.

The clipping also discloses that, In old Delaware a forger, if convicted, was sentenced to the pillory for one hour, after which his ears were cut off, and his nostrils slit in half! Ouch.

Interesting old facts about my adopted home state.

No comments: