Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Felton Delaware .. 1908


Felton School Posted by Picasa

Felton is a wonderful old town that takes its history and its Little League baseball very seriously indeed. One summer evening about 4 years ago, my wife, her Dad & Mom, and I made the short trip down the road to Felton. We took along this old postcard of the Felton High School, a couple more of the railroad station and another postcard that I can't think of presently (perhaps an old hotel). With these old postcards to guide us, we tried to imagine Felton as it was back then. We compared the images with modern Felton, and I can tell you that much has remained the same over the last 100 years. I don't think that we found this old structure though.

That was a nice evening.

Dad is gone now, but his postcard is still here. An old card, like thousands of others, passed down and around these past hundred years by sentimental family members and eventually sentimental postcard collectors like Dad and me. A person can make a real connection with the past just holding such a thing and reading the words spoken from it. Don't get me wrong, I do not exactly yearn for them good ole days, but I do believe that it is important to try to understand, or at least recognize, the sacrifices and hard work of our long-dead predecessors. Without them where would we be?

This old postcard was mailed from Felton Delaware on July 17, 1908 and was sent to Miss Tina Roe in Federalsburg Maryland. Tina's Papa told her to be a good girl and that her Mama was "up to Felton today".

If you are a part of the Roe family, you should take a look at the Roe discussion at Genforum.

1 comment:

Carolindaytona@yahoo.com said...

very intersting I am from felton and never have seen this picture I graduated Lake in 71