Thursday, June 15, 2006

Magnificent Beast, Millers Mills, 1916


Millers Mill 1916 Posted by Picasa

This is a cute old real photo postcard (AZO). On the reverse is written, "Aug 1916 Millers Mills". Based on a look at place names and other post cards in the collection, this is very likely Millers Mills NY just north of Millers Mills Crossing, a hamlet of Columbia New York in Herkimer County, upstate New York. There may be a river in the background.

This old photo is funny, I think. There are seven men pictured. The three oldest ones are crammed into this car/wagon contraption, one not even having a place to sit. The four younger fellows all seem intent on pushing the car and/or keeping it running.... which appears to be a full time endeavor. One of the oldest guys is holding a lantern, obviously expecting to still be out when darkness falls. The photo is so clear, I can see the wedding ring on this gentleman's finger.

I've never seen an antique car like this; its an odd contraption thats for sure. I can't even spot a steering wheel. Oh yeah... back in the day when a Sunday drive was really an adventure, and apparently a great opportunity for male bonding and exercising the old pecking order. Wish I coulda been there, I really do.

PLEASE... if you can tell me anything about this photo, particularly the antique automobile, email me or leave a comment. and thank you for looking.

Join the discussion about this old car(?) at the Antique Automobile Club of America.

To learn more about Herkimer County, join the discussion at Genforum

No comments: